All enjoyable things in life, any pleasure really, correspond with an increase in the neurotransmitter dopamine in your central nervous system. This is the same neurotransmitter often implicated, and always convicted, of mediating the pleasurable effects of drugs. Our neurotransmitters, however, don’t know the difference between pleasure from drugs and pleasure from, say, an ice cold coke on a hot summer day, or the light touch of your special someone, or the sight of a beautiful sunset, or the smell of cookies baking the oven, or the sound of the ocean. The bottom line is that anything we find pleasurable increases dopamine. So, as I find myself tired, worn out, stressed out, beaten down, and generally lacking any kind of dopamine activity, I just look at this picture of the utterly adorable Princess Tater and I can image all the dopamine beginning to bounce around. I just know that simply looking at her cuteness results in a dopamine spike. Ok, so the spike one might observe from cocaine would be significantly larger...but I say take any dopamine spike you can get. Besides, no one ever got addicted to looking at cuteness.....
Friday, October 17, 2008
Princess Tater
All enjoyable things in life, any pleasure really, correspond with an increase in the neurotransmitter dopamine in your central nervous system. This is the same neurotransmitter often implicated, and always convicted, of mediating the pleasurable effects of drugs. Our neurotransmitters, however, don’t know the difference between pleasure from drugs and pleasure from, say, an ice cold coke on a hot summer day, or the light touch of your special someone, or the sight of a beautiful sunset, or the smell of cookies baking the oven, or the sound of the ocean. The bottom line is that anything we find pleasurable increases dopamine. So, as I find myself tired, worn out, stressed out, beaten down, and generally lacking any kind of dopamine activity, I just look at this picture of the utterly adorable Princess Tater and I can image all the dopamine beginning to bounce around. I just know that simply looking at her cuteness results in a dopamine spike. Ok, so the spike one might observe from cocaine would be significantly larger...but I say take any dopamine spike you can get. Besides, no one ever got addicted to looking at cuteness.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
"no one ever got addicted to looking at cuteness....."
That made me laugh!
Post a Comment